PANEL II - Beginning In Hartford: 1790 to 1845
The First Baptist Church in Hartford was founded in 1790, the 20th Baptist Church in the state. It is pictured at the top, along with Deacon John Bolles, the man most responsible for organizing a Baptist Church here. In 1831 First Baptist built a new church on Main Street, right center, which was located where the Brown Thompson building stands today. The small church building to its left represents the South Baptist Church, organized in 1834 with 55 members from the First, which stood at the Southeast corner of Main and Sheldon Streets. Pictured, lower left, is John Mason Peck, home missionary, who took the gospel West. Adoniram Judson, missionary to India is shown at lower center.